Do you also feel better when you have had a good nights sleep?
Being able to fall into a deep sleep not only helps turn the pain signals off from neck pain; it also is an optimal time for your body to heal itself. Quality sleep equals healing time.
How many times have you tossed and turned trying to get comfortable position on your pillow, but found yourself not finding a relaxing position?
There are tons of pillows that you can choose to sleep on. However, what you really need to know is what are the best pillows that can help relax the muscles, the nerves and joints in your neck. That is what the aim of this article is all about.
Best Pillows for Neck Pain 2017
|Product Name||Benefits||Pillow Cover Size Needed||Price|
|Snug Single Contour Memory Foam Pillow||Memory foam pillow that has a large or small contoured side to choose from. Designed to support the natural cervical spine lordosis curve.||Regular Cover||Check Pricing|
|66fit Orthopaedic Cervical Neck Support Pillow||Contoured pillow with a hollowed centre to support the neck when sleeping on the side or back. Made of polyester.||Regular Cover||Check Pricing|
|Mediflow Waterbase Fibrefill Pillow||Water pillow that you can adjust the height level and feeling of support. Soothing cool feeling and doesn't leak.||Regular Cover||Check Pricing|
|TEMPUR® Comfort Pillow Cloud Pillow||Made from high quality original Tempur memory foam which feels soft to lay on and is conventional shape.||Regular Cover.||Check Pricing|
Top Pillows for Neck Pain Review
The contour memory pillow from Snug is the classic shape recommended by many physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths to support the cervical spine.
Memory foam is designed to be a pressure relieving foam that helps absorb pressure and disturbs it more evenly. When our head is laying on a pillow there are certain points that tend to make contact with the surface. The memory lets you sink into the pillow to make more contact. This means more gentle support that prevents hot spots of pressure.
The added contours creates a high side and low side on either side of the pillow. This is designed to allow the contoured curve to support the natural lordotic curve found in the cervical spine (a.k.a neck). Supporting the spinal curve helps to relax the muscles supporting the joints and discs.
This is perfect for both men and women.Buy a Snug Contour Pillow on Amazon here.
The cervical support pillow from 66fit is the updated version of the classic contour pillow.
The centre is slightly lowered to allow the head to fill it in and achieve ideal alignment of the head, neck and shoulders when laying on your side or back. Then the centre is surrounded on all sides by contoured ridges of support. These supports are similar to rolled lumbar cushion support, they help support a lordotic curve.
Some users have also found that it can help improve a partners snoring which is a bonus. This would be from them being able to sleep in a better position.
The 66fit pillow is made of a polyester fibre.
If you struggle to find a comfortable position on your side then this pillow is a good choice.Buy a 66fit Neck Support Pillow on Amazon here.
The water pillow from Mediflow is one of the most interesting reviews we had to do. It uses a very innovative and unique option of using water to allow adjustable support plus comfort they have created .
The pillow has an outer layer of soft polyester material. This provides a comfort feel for both your face and head.
The inner water chamber uses normal tap water to provide a custom support feel for your neck. This unique adjustable feature was tested at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine; users in the study rated the mediflow pillow highly.Buy a Mediflow pillow on Amazon here.
Tempur are the pioneers in the manufacturing and making of memory foam products to improve sleep habits.
The comfort cloud pillow can be used even if you don’t own a Tempur mattress.
If you have ever slept on a Tempur pillow before then you will love the soft luxurious feel that this one gives you.
It is the most expensive product we reviewed, but with that price comes the satisfaction guarantees you would expect from the company.Buy a Tempur Comfort Pillow on Amazon here.
Sleeping With Neck Pain Tips
The prevalence of neck pain is very common in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.1 So lots of people are suffering with a sore neck and looking for a peaceful nights rest.
Here are 7 tips to try sleep like a baby again:
- Avoid watching TV and reading your mobile phone like and iPhone or tablet PC like and iPad at least 30-60 mins before going to sleep. This is to help calm your nervous system down and to improve your circadian rhythm (a.k.a body clock).
- Keep your head and neck warm. Some people have found that using a scarf or wearing a beanie to keep warm at night made falling asleep and staying asleep easier.
- Take a warm shower or bath before going to sleep. For some people the soothing effect of the warm water on the back of their neck can ease the dull ache or sharp pains. Use this time of relaxation to go straight to bed.
- Do gentle neck exercises. As long as you know which exercises to do then this could be a good idea. Movement helps to unlock stiffness and gently stretch muscles, ligaments and tendons. Releasing any built up tension from poor posture during the day can help you go to sleep at night.
- Wear an eye mask. We sleep best in the dark; this is why luxury hotels use blackout curtains in their rooms. Even a tiny sliver of light coming in from a passage way light or street lamp will reduce your sleep quality. Wearing an soft eye mask that blocks out all light will help improve your ability to sleep properly. We like this eye mask on Amazon.
- Take a magnesium supplement. Magnesium is a natural nerve and muscle relaxant. It is also used in pain control. Try taking some with your dinner so that it can help you try chill your muscles and brain to be able to drift off to sleep. We like this Magnesium L-Threonate on Amazon.
- Drink enough water during the day. One of the most common issues found in people with muscle pains is that they are dehydrated. Our muscles cannot do their job properly when we haven’t drunk enough water during the day. If you know you find it hard to drink even a glass of normal water in the day; try have just a glass or two to help your muscles function well again.